New apartment, new feature:
That’s So Nom: Notes from Jacob’s Kitchen
Episode 1: Tears-Free Turkey Burgers
- Buy ingredients in three separate grocery stores on three separate trips because you’ve already forgotten what’s in it.
- Call mother, confirm ingredients and instructions.
- Wait until the sell-by date, then prepare to turkey-burger.
- Thaw turkey in a large bowl and preheat oven.
- Watch a podcast and then return to bowl. If the middle is still frozen, just pour water onto it.
- Realize that it’s probably a little soggy, so attempt to strain the water out, in vain.
- Mix in onion soup, mustard, and a few squirts of ketchup.
- Stir until it smells divine.
- Form six patties, place in the preheated oven.
- Realize five minutes later that you have somewhere to be, so turn oven off and go to meeting.
- Stay longer than planned at the meaning having fun conversations.
- Return to apartment.
- Broil the six patties, turning when firm, hoping that they’re still good.
- Take out patties, and make sure to not drop the first one on the floor like I did.
- Enjoy five little turkey burgers with a dash of salsa.
Recipe makes 10 burgers total.
The reason for the title?
Even though this week has been great and relaxing, it’s still nerve wracking that school is starting up again, next week. I feel so not ready. I was crying a little inside today, knowing that this is the last week that it’ll be easy. My apartment is still a mess and things just feel weird. Blogging has been helping, marginally, but cooking a healthy, somewhat-grown-up dinner for myself helped a lot.
Even after a shower, I still smell like turkey.