So, I just spent time I should have been studying going through my blog and reliving the past year, good and bad, on this, the eve of my 27th birthday. And I realized that I’ve learned a lot of things about myself and the world. Take notes, if you like.
1. I can, in fact, memorize 55 pages of lines and recite them three times a week for two weeks. Maybe my acting career isn’t dead after all.
2. Coffee cup lids are evil.
3. Cheese and crackers are Wisconsin’s answer to chips and salsa.
4. Einstein Brothers Bagels is always a bad idea.
5. I can drive down a country road through an ice storm.
6. But I need to scrape the ice off the windshield first.
7. Underground parking is a must in the Midwest.
8. Car shopping sucks. Get a new one before yours dies in Mount Airy with all your stuff in it.
9. I can blog by talking into my phone. Technology!
10. Lacrosse has been the official team sport of Maryland since 2003.
11. The battle of Bunker Hill did not actually occur on Bunker Hill.
12. I will probably never develop orthorexia (thank goodness)!
13. Wisconsin is cold.
14. Naps are underrated.
15. A true friend is one who listens to you cry and make unintelligble sounds for a solid half hour on the phone.
16. Identity theft sucks.
17. Southwest Airlines offers free alcoholic beverages on Saint Patrick’s Day.
18. Seeing your school lose in a sports game is still depressing, even as a grad student.
19. Making good on resolutions is so not my thing.
20. Arguing about race in high school musicals is one way to end a friendship.
21. Getting fined for horseplay in a state park is a horrible way to end a day trip.
22. I own so much crap.
23. When bunking with three friends in a hotel, make sure your phone’s ringer is turned off at night.
24. My favorite wine still exists, but it’s only available in Puerto Rico now.
25. Turkey burgers are fun and easy to make.
26. Frustration is futile; forgiveness is fantastic.
27. I am a good person and I can make it on my own.
and as a bonus
28. I’m actually a pretty good cook.
So there we go.
27 years old…bring it on.
This post was inspired by my new online crush Taryn Southern‘s “Awkward Lessons from Instagram” video. Thank you, don’t sue.