10. Large backpacks and crowded reception halls do not mix.
9. I could totally open a business giving people third-floor skyline tours of the Baltimore Inner Harbor. Also, I have mastered the Disney Point.
8. When people start falling asleep at your presentation, spice it up by doing the robot.
7. Delicious cannolis make everything less awkward.
6. Don’t buy the books in the exhibition hall before they’re
30% off 10% off giving them away for free.
5. Even people with advanced degrees bond over the juicy details of first kisses and conference hookups.
4. There is nothing more awkward than watching your colleagues drink another’s breast milk. With cookies.
3. Fancy, expensive plaques make lousy banquet napkins.
2. Lampposts most certainly can perform.
1. One thing that makes every paper better? Serving your audience wine.
What a long, strange weekend it’s been. 4 days of ASTR followed by a day of going back and forth to visit my sister and her kindergarten class in Rockville. Right now, I’m sitting in my parents’ basement here in Baltimore, and one week from today, I’ll be back in Madison, bracing myself for the cold, the snow, and the end-of-semester projects.
The best thing about writing the above list? It made me realize that I learned more at ASTR than I thought I would, and than I thought I did.