I took a course in Irish theatre a few years back, and was amazed at the diversity of theatre that comes from one little island. Everyone knows Dancing at Lughnasa and Juno and the Paycock, but, in honor of St. Patrick’s Day, here’s a list of some Irish plays not everyone knows about, and why they’re great.
- Martin McDonagh, The Beauty Queen of Leenane
This play is a dark exploration of mother and daughter, spinster and invalid, and what happens when a man enters the picture.
2. Samuel Beckett, Happy Days
Winnie is buried in sand on the beach. She talks. That’s pretty much it, but it’s riveting.
3. William Butler Yeats, Cathleen ni Houlihan
4. Brian Friel, Translations
5. Denis Johnston, The Old Lady Says No!