That’s So Jacob Presents: Flip the Script Friday
Episode #46: Nick Green, Body Politic
Body Politic premiered on 21 May 2016 at Buddies in Bad Time Theatre in Toronto, Canada. It closed on 12 June 2016, hours after the shooting at Pulse Nightclub in Orlando, Florida.
- Phillip – gay man in his 60s. Member of the Body Politic collective in his youth.
- Deb – young lesbian activist in her 20s. Member of the Body Politic collective.
- Steven – gay man in his 20s. Original member of the Body Politic collective who leaves quickly.
- Calvin – gay man in his early 20s. Member of the collective.
- Victor – gay man in his late 20s. Member of the collective, latecomer who joins with Brian. Played by the same actor who plays Steven.
- Brian – gay man in his late 20s. Member of the collective, latecomer who joins with Victor.
- Josh – gay man in his 20s. A barista at the Starbucks where Phillip goes every day, in the present-day storyline.
Present day and 1970s, Toronto, Canada. There are two simultaneous storylines. In the present day, Josh goes over to Phillip’s apartment after encountering him on the Grindr app, where they have sex and argue about the differences between gay men in their respective generations before a revelation by Josh. In the 1970s storyline, Phillip, Deb, and the others start a gay-themed newspaper entitled Body Politic, and in their attempts to express their views, they encounter resistance from within and without, leading up to a major raid on Toronto bathhouses and a demonstration which changes everything, including the breakup of Body Politic and the relationships between its former members and allies.