Carol Channing is correct; housework sucks. Cleaning sucks, washing dishes sucks, taking out the garbage sucks.
Something most people don’t know about me is that I love doing laundry.
I mean, with a passion.
There’s something about the smell of clean clothes that gets me.
I do the wash on Monday, and Wednesdays are meant for Mental Floss, Jenna Marbles, and folding laundry.
It’s relaxing, it’s fun, and it gets stuff done.
Try it sometime.
Much like Carol Channing’s famous monologue from Free to Be… You & Me, I hate housework.
Well, most of the time.
So of course, instead of spending last night and today on my homework, I spent the majority of the day cleaning my apartment.
Things I Like About Cleaning
- I like doing laundry. Like…I really like it. The smell of dryer sheets and clean clothes. The joy of watching stains disappear. The fact that I can fold clothes and watch TV/listen to music/talk on the phone/read at the same time. Feeling like a champion with a freshly organized closet and/or drawer.
- I like the pristine look of things the second that they are clean. Of course, then you have to stand, sit, spill, stain, and shove stuff on it, but for a second, it’s like a catalog.
- I like giving (and having) the illusion that my apartment is that clean, 100% of the time.
- A clutterless counter or table top is perfect for all kinds of ACTIVITIES.
Things I Don’t Like About Cleaning
- Dishes. Everything about them.
- Folding fitted sheets. We send a man to outer space and make a phone that’s thinner than a slice of bread but no one has figured out a foolproof way to fold a fitted sheet.
- Looking for things that were easily found in the mess, and having to wreck your whole apartment to find them ten feet away from where they were when your apartment was a mess.
- Resisting the urge to redecorate. Every time.
- WHERE ARE MY WOODLAND FRIENDS?